CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

My Music Video

Monday 4 October 2010

Performance Video Characteristics

As I enter into the planning stages of my music video I need to decide on a video genre of the video. Its important that the video is related to the song the emotion which I try to portray. Therefore, I have decided that a performance video would be the most interactive and personal genre which would show the fully emotion. Hence, looking at a range of performance videos will highlight key characteristics which I will need to include in my video in order for t to be successful.

All American Rejects - Dirty Little Secret



While this is not the same genre as my peice of music, it is a performance based video and displays a range of emotion through the visuals. There are many close ups of the band and them playing their instruments, but also as the group as a whole. When their is close ups of the lead singer you can see into his eyes and that is a strong and in depth emotion he is feels. Its important for the audience to feel the same way which the performer feels about the song and the words behind the song. It won't work if the song doesn't show the right emotion. There are snaps of the secrets between the close ups of the band and it is related straight to the song, and I think this is a key characteristic which I would like to include within my video. It works so that the whole video isn't just about the band and its about the meaning behind the song.

Mariah Carey - We Belong Together



Now this video is a completely different music genre to the previous song, but it a a performance video. In this video, there are snap shots from a narrative of a story because that is what the song requires in order for it to work and be successful. Their is a range of locations within this video unlike 'Dirty Little Secret' and I will need to take into consideration which one would be most approprite to my song. As this is an R&B song, I saw that there were more close ups of her face and her body to attract a mass audience. Furthmore, within in the video she has used a well known and admire actor, Wentworth Miller, to consume the female audience to watch her video. This would be difficult for me, but I could incooperate a narrivitve if it matched my song.

Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars



Again, in comparison this video is a different performance video and is based one lead charcter and the camera is like following him as he goes around him street to trains to escalators. A key moments in the song there are specific shots which highlight the lyrics and the emotion. As there isn't a lot happening in the video it presents the emotion through the dull colours and lighting. There are no bright colours in the video and video is quite plain and it focuses on the emotion of the song forcing the audience to listen to the words and what the band is trying to say.

0 comments: